Friday, March 10, 2017

Boy's Room Ideas and Inspiration


When I was pregnant with Lakshman our oldest Avinash was so excited to be involved with the baby.  He even offered to share a room with him and help take care of the baby at night.  It took a few days of thinking this through before he reneged on his offer. "What if the baby cries?  I can't change diapers." 

Too bad for him in this family a promise is a promise and we never forget a good one.  Now that the baby is a little older we totally jumped at the chance to move him out of our room and into Avinash's.  
Choose your words wisely son.  That is the lesson here. 

We are definitely not expert decorators as we tend to want to choose all the themes! Decorate with all the things! 

So we had to make one hard and fast rule for ourselves.  No nautical stuff.  I love nautical stuff, I think it's great.  I just have to keep the madness at bay somehow.  Maybe I should write a book.  The life changing magic of saying no to anchors and seashells?



We figured going with a space theme was pretty much the exact opposite.  When I saw this  Land of Nod space quilt that basically sealed the deal entirely.   That Pluto/retired pillow put the whole thing completely over the edge. 





Our stuff is a big mix of mostly Target and Ikea with a little bit of Land of Nod thrown in. Pillowfort is our new go to. The target gods have done it again.  So serious. 

The large canvas poster of monsters is also from Land of Nod.  (What? There are monsters in space.  Also, I probably could have thought that through a little better but it doesn't seem to disturb anyone's sleep so I pretty much nailed it!) 

The chalkboard stegosaurus and the green shelf are Land of Nod too.  The line up of monsters and animals up there is ever changing.  Love that it adds texture and dimension to the gallery wall of mostly flat stuff.   

The frames are Ikea.  Yes, I need to fill in some frames.  No I am not decisive. This is a problem.  We did get one filled in at least. The Shiva print is from a book of posters by Pixar animator Sanjay Patel, The Big Poster Book of Hindu Deities. The large A is a marquee letter thrifted from one of our visits to the antique fair in Round Top, Texas

My Dad made the headboard some *cough cough* few decades ago for me.  Love that Avinash and I have the same childhood bed.  Love that it is so meaningful because of his special connection with my dad too. 



I still have the chalkboard shelves from Target that I DIY'd, with a fossil box and robot collection on top.

The Land of Nod, design for kids and people that used to be kids



The other half of the room is Lakshman's side.  He has an Ikea crib that was a hand me down from Nandini. 


In keeping with the theme I moved our rocket ship shelf into the room and strung up a star garland from Land of Nod.  I think it  is intended to be a holiday item, but I love it year round. 

The red stripe rug was also something we had previously that just matched perfectly with the red rocket ship.  I also love how the grey book cart contrasts with both. 

I also added a galvanized metal L (from Hobby Lobby) and a vintage Steelers pennant.  Love that it adds to the play on different shapes along with the circular Ikea mirror. The Krishna print is from the same Poster Book of Hindu Gods. 


The sunny pillow is also an Ikea find.  



Did I raid all of our bookshelves around the house to put this rainbow shelf together?  It's entirely possible.   

Rolling gray book cart is from Target.  I put some baskets of toys and stuffed animals underneath. 





So that is our space themed boys room! Hope you loved checking it out as much as we enjoyed setting it up.  And I promise you, this bed has never been so neatly made since. 


 You can follow my blog on bloglovin', check out my Etsy shop Rainbow Scrapbooksfind me on twitter or instagram as nirupama01.

The Land of Nod, design for kids and people that used to be kids

Land Of Nod: up to 70% off of sale items! Free Shipping on Strollers & Stroller Accessories,  DVDs, Books and CDs now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...