Thursday, February 16, 2012

Creamiest Mac & Cheese Ever.

Once again Pinterest pays off.  Otherwise I never would have known that one can boil pasta in milk to make macaroni and cheese.  I didn't really like the rest of the original recipe, but the idea is genius.
Of course I had to make it as soon as possible for lunch one day.  I thought I was making enough for the two of us with plenty of leftovers for little ones later.  Sadly after naptime there was none left for Avinash or Nandini to try!

Quinoa Macaroni and Cheese with wilted spinach


2 cups whole milk
2 cups quinoa pasta*
1 thinly sliced garlic clove
1 chopped green onion
1 cup cheddar cheese
chopped cilantro
1 tbsp olive oil
big handful of spinach
1 cup water if needed
seasonings to taste:
salt
pepper
turmeric (haldi)
chili powder
crushed red pepper
mustard powder
dried onion flakes


1. Combine pasta and milk in saucepan, bring to boil and reduce to simmer. 
2. Add seasonings and garlic and green onion.  Continue to simmer for twenty minutes.
3. When pasta is al dente add spinach, cheese, olive oil and cilantro.  Add extra water if sauce is too thick to stir in spinach easily.  I needed about half a cup.
4. Serve and enjoy!

*I used corkstrew pasta, but macaroni would work as well.  I buy this at Central Market in the gluten free aisle.  I just like it for the extra protein. I think the quinoa pasta requires a little extra liquid compared to semolina pasta.  I used about tsp of most seasonings but only a pinch of the red pepper.  Do not add the olive oil until the end as it will make the pasta not cook right.  The cilantro and other seasonings are optional, but the turmeric doesn't change the flavor, just makes the color brighter and more appealing, especially if you are able to restrain yourself and serve any to little ones. 

linked up here.

2 comments:

  1. This looks really different and interesting, and quite good. I'd never have thought to put spinach in a mac and cheese style dish, but having just discovered that I actually really like spinach, it seems like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Those ingredients are my favorite.. I will try this recipe..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...