Monday, November 28, 2011

Beanies Vintage knit baby pixie hats for preemies

I just mailed off the baby hat I knit for KA's  Beanies for Preemies | Giving Back.

The hat was fairly easy to make and she wants to get more people involved so I thought I would share the pattern here.

I modified a knit hat I made for Nandini last May for this project.  I based the size off of some preemie patterns she emailed me about.  It ended up way too small for Nandini to model, but it was the perfect size for my Samantha doll who is just a smidge smaller than Nandini was as a newborn, so I think it will work fine for the NICU babies.

I am not the fastest of knitters but this only took about four hours total. Not sure if that is good time or not.  Anyway..

I used US 7 needles and worsted weight yarn in red and cream.
Starting with white or cream;
Cast on 58 (needs to be in multiples of 4 + 2)
K2 *P2 K2 *repeat
Do this for four rows.
Tie on red, leave a medium tail of white.
Row 1: K4 K2 *P2 K2 *repeat until near end K4. turn.
Row 2: purl the purls and knit the knits ( ie P6, K2, P2, etc here). Turn.
Row 3: repeat row 1. Turn.
Row 4: K6 K2 *P2 K2 *repeat until near end then K6. Turn.
Row 5: purl the purls and knit the knits, turn.
Row 6: repeat row 4, turn.
Ok, you should start to see a pattern emerging in your work by now.
The middle will be ribbed and the edges will have stripes increasing in length by 2 stitches every three rows.  You should be able to glance at your work and figure out what number of stitches you need without following a chart. 
Keep going until you have to K28 on each side and only two stitches in the 2x2 ribbing in the center, finish off that set of three rows then move half your stitches to the other needle.  Cut a long tail.
Use the kitchener stitch to finish. 
{*front needle: knit off 1 purl on 1; back needle: purl off 1 knit on 1 *repeat}
Fold your work in half with the RS facing in (this is up to you, the hat can be reversible).
Cut the tail at the top as long or short as you like depending on how pixie-ish you like it.  You can also leave a really long tail or tie on a pompom at the top (I didn't).

You can use your tails of white in the beginning to tie the hat under baby's chin or attach ribbon at that point as well.

If you cast on 98 stitches instead you can make the 6 month old size I made for Nandini here.  I never did make any under chin tie for her and it seemed to work out fine.

Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...