Saturday, September 10, 2011

On scrapbooking..

This is a hobby that I sort of fell into.  I was always a pack rat and loved collecting little momentos.  I never knew what to do with all that stuff though.  Even my wedding pictures just languished on my computer unprinted.  A few months after I had my first baby I started to really want a more concrete way to preserve his memories.  On his first christmas my husband actually surprised me by printing out a whole bunch of his baby pictures and created an album with funny captions and everything.   This was our first scrapbook and so amazing especially in retrospect.  

A little while after that I discovered the Becky Higgins baby kit online.  It wad perfect for me because it had everything I needed to get started.  I used a lot of found scraps then too.  It was the nest way for me to unwind after work and putting avinash to bed.  My husband and I would usually watch something from netflix together while I cut and pasted photos onto paper (and we still do).




Some early scrapbook pages.

I got really involved once I discovered Two Peas.  It is a great source of inspiration.

I love to try out new things, but sticking with some basics to get pages done can help a lot.  My favorite pages are ones that don't just have little flowers all over them, but really tell a story about my family.



This is one of my first pages and one of my most favorite because I love the story it tells.

Stick to a basic pages layout.  One of my favorites is patterned paper with plain cardstock to mat photos.  Add a title, some stickers and journaling - done.




A few examples.





Aaaand even more.  When I can't remember I use facebook or my blog to help remember all the little stories.  It is so much fun looking through the albums with my son already and he is not even three.  He gets a kick out of seeing all the photos of himself and his relatives.

Recently I got into making banners as well. I found that it is a great way to display things along with decorative touches. So easy to put together.





I did this one for Avi's birthday cards. I may make something similar for his artwork and Nandini's too eventually.

Linked up here: Kelly's Korner and Idea Room.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nirupama

    I came across your blog via Amy Tan's. You would be happy to be featured on her blog :)

    I started scrapbooking in May this year and still learning a lot. My story is very similiar to yours ;) I love collecting bits and pieces but never knew what to do with them. I still have loads of stuff I collected during our honeymoon in Austria. I'am planning to make a minialbum of it :)

    Really glad to meet a fellow Indian who is into scrapbooking like me
    Neelu

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...